There are a variety of ways that you can build a strong following on Twitter, and one of those ways that is to take advantage of a few key Twitter directories that have established themselves quite well. For a few minutes of your time, you can have yourself listed on these directories, and while in many cases it may not drive droves of users to your Twitter profile, there’s no reason not to list yourself. By listing yourself on these directories, other users can find you if they are looking for like minded individuals. As I’ve always said in my consulting, it’s not important what you personally think of a channel. You may think certain sites are poorly designed, under featured, or unreliable, but if the audience exists there, it’s important that you are there as well if you truly care about reach.
Here’s my top 9 Twitter Directories to make sure you are listed on:
- 1. Twellow – Right now the crown jewel of Twitter directories. If you only bother with one on this list, choose Twellow.
- 2. Wefollow – My personal favorite for the simple design and usability. Built by Digg co-founder Kevin Rose.
- 3. Twittercounter – My 2nd favorite as it acts as a statistical tool as well.
- 4. Twitterholic – Another one of those directories that ranks users by followers. Kind of fun to see where you rank based on filters.
- 5. JustTweetIt – A directory of Twitter users sorted by categories. Nothing groundbreaking here, but just another large directory to list yourself to be found.
- 6. Geofollow – GeoFollow allows you to list yourself geographically and categorically.
- 7. Tweetfind – Free Twitter yellow and white pages directory. Not the best looking directory, but front page on Google for “twitter directories”, so worth the listing.
- 8. Twibs – Only really applicable to businesses, but everyone is selling something right?
- 9. Hashtags – This is simply a directory of hashtag users on Twitter.
Mollie Autumn Quinn says
I essentially made a decision to just say screw the complexity of holding out months and years for a reasonable following and made use of a twitter followers program to obtain me 1k followers. They actually have all stuck around and I’ve picked up 40 retweets in the most recent few days, 40 more than I had ever acquired before. Joy. Very seriously even though there are a lot of these kind of guys to choose from, but I considered them high quality. Also you’ll find some absolutely free programs and such in other areas but I’m not a programmer so won’t be able to rely on them.