Over the past 20 years I’ve attended my fair share of marketing conferences. Big ones, small ones, close ones, far away ones. Every one of them share much of the same experiences, but also their own differences, which usually end up being the reason attending one vs. another is worth it.
Here are 5 reasons why I think attending marketing conferences are worth it:
- You’ll learn something. No matter what your level of experience or expertise, no one knows everything, especially when it comes to marketing. Everything evolves at a rapid pace in the marketing world, and conferences are a great opportunity to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to technology, strategy and execution.
- You’ll meet new people. Duh. The real question is whether you will make meaningful connections vs. just having a good time at the conference parties and social events. While the latter certainly serves a purpose, making long term connections out of those you meet at conferences takes planning, work and preparation. No matter how good a conference is, this is an area you stand to benefit from if you own it.
- You’ll pick up good public speaking tips & tricks. If you are a professional marketer or even a business owner, public speaking can be a great way to increase your brand’s visibility. Anytime I attend a conference I’m paying as much attention to the speaker’s presentation style, delivery and execution as I am the content they are sharing. I’ve learned a ton by doing this including what and what not to do.
- A break from routine. I’ve always found having a few conferences spread out during the year are a great way to force yourself to get away from the everyday routines we grow so accustomed to. It’s good to take a break and interact, learn and socialize with others in your industry and in most cases it provides a great re-charge to come back to.
- Content. For most marketers and businesses, we’re always clamoring for good content to share as part of our overall marketing strategy, and showing a commitment to attending industry events and sharing those learnings can go a long way towards building credibility and influence.
Often times it can be hard to find good conferences that don’t cost an arm and a leg not only to attend, but travel to. Being on the west coast, we don’t get as many as I’d like, but one that has caught my attention that I look forward to attending is the Swivel Digital Marketing Conference being held in Bend, Oregon October 8-9, 2018. Aside from what I hear is a very cool town to visit, the conference has gotten rave reviews as being a well attended, more intimate setting to give folks a great opportunity to hit on all of the points above. I’m looking forward to attending for the first time this year and plan to share my experiences in detail.
For those interested in attending as well, be sure to use the code “SEATTLESWIVEL” and you’ll get 50% off the conference passes through June 30th.