I often get asked from folks whether there will ever be a “social media crash”. Similar to the 2000 dot com bust, will all these social channels just crash and burn at some point. My simple answer is always no. The fact is, social media at its core isn’t some newly formed concept that just popped up over the last few years. As a society, we’ve always been “social”. It’s the technology that has changed that has allowed us to do so differently. So while I’m sure there will be a fair share of social channels that will come and go, our social interactions online will never go away.
So as a business, it’s critically important to ensure that investing time and/or money into social as part of your overall marketing strategy is a priority. Below is a terrific infographic that demonstrates the sheer volume of audience and activity online in the social sphere.
- Facebook has reached 1.5 billion users while Twitter has recently passed 550 million
- 93% of marketers use social media for business
- In the US, people spend on average, 16% every hour on social media sites
- Fastest growing segments on the big 3? (Facebook, Twitter, Google +), 45-64 years old.
- 47% of Americans say Facebook is the #1 influencer of purchasing decisions
If you’re business is not currently tapping into these huge opportunities, please call me today and I’ll walk you through what’s available to you and how you can use the social web to grow your business.