Yea that’s right. I made a list of 10 reasons why being self-employed rules to get you to come read my stuff. Because lists are cool like that. People don’t have time to read paragraphs. That’s so 2012. I wrestled a bit with posting this as by doing so, I possibly alienate myself to any “offers you can’t refuse” for a traditional 9 to 5er. But I’ve learned these past few weeks as I’ve gotten a nice taste of success that if I’m ever going to truly make it big on my own, I have to be all in. Logistically and mentally. Besides, if someone really wanted me that bad and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, I would hope my commitment to what I’m currently doing would be viewed as a plus.
So enjoy this digestible bloggy goodness and share mmmmkayyy? I’m trying to make a living here.
- You can wear whatever you want. Jean shorts? Crocs? Ass-less chaps? Do it. You’re the boss. Save the good stuff for when you meet with clients. Otherwise, get comfy.
- No more sitting in mind numbing traffic. Every time I drive by the freeway and see a parking lot I feel tickly all over now. I do not miss that. Avoiding being in the car 2 hours a day is motivation enough to try and make it work on your own.
- You actually get work done. So many companies I’ve worked for that get in their own way. Too many layers of management…process. I get more done in one day then I was ever able to try and get done in a week at bloated companies.
- You can show up late and leave early. Hell, when you’re saving 2+ hours of commute time, it changes everything. Sure is nice to sleep in or have a big breakfast every once in awhile. And by big breakfast I mean 2 bowls of Cookie Crisp. Huge.
- You can design your office any way you want. Mini fridge…check. Triple monitor action? Check. Hot Tub? Soon.
- You can write stuff off. These days it feels like I’m being taxed on air. At least now I can write off purchases that my business utilizes.
- You can’t be fired, laid off, demoted, etc. In fact, this blog post is so friggin good, I just gave myself a raise. Yea self employment!
- You choose who you work with. And I choose Kate Beckinsale & Scarlett Johansson for my sales team. As soon as they return my calls.
- Unlimited vacation & sick days!! Hmmm, my tummy hurts. Millionaire Matchmaker marathon!
- My Boys Stuff. I never have to miss any of my boys’ baseball games, school events, etc. My time is controlled by me, and not having the stress of having to worry about missing anything is priceless. Worth the price of admission in and of itself.
What say you my fellow entrepreneurs? What would you add to the list???