I wrestled with the idea of creating a Facebook Page for my blog vs. just utilizing my Facebook Profile to promote. My initial thought was that I didn’t really see myself as being “celebrity” enough to warrant having what was once referred to as a “fan page”. It felt a bit vain to me, but I started to sense that I needed to re-visit the issue as more and more people I did not really know wanted to start connecting with me on Facebook professionally.
After reading a few interesting articles on the issue (see here and here), I decided that the positives outweighed any negatives, and went ahead and created one. In addition I added the Facebook Social Like Box on the right, and intend on running a contest in the next few weeks to drive “likes” up. If anything, it adds another layer of excitement for me regarding increasing my reach.
If you have a personal blog that you contribute to regularly, you should seriously consider the benefits of a Facebook Page of which some are:
- No Limits – Facebook profiles can only have 5,000 friends. Now, that limit may change, and most people never come anywhere near that, but if you have any aspirations of continued professional success, it could become an issue. Facebook pages have no limits.
- SEO – Your Facebook page becomes another feather in your SEO hat. Facebook Pages are indexed by search engines. Just another avenue to increase your reach.
- Stats – You get access to Facebook Insights which provides you useful information on your Facebook Page activity.
- Direct Messaging – You can send messages directly to those that “like” you. (Click Edit Page, Marketing, Send Update)
- Lower Acquisition Barrier – It’s much easier to “like” something on Facebook, then to “friend” someone, which means it’s much more likely that you will gain a larger following through a Facebook Page then through a personal profile. Plus you get the added benefit of separating your personal and professional contacts.
These are just a few of the benefits I see so far. Would love to see examples of others who have done the same and if so, leave your page links in the comments.
Get tips on business, social media and the internet.
Learn more about me and my experiences online.